In all processes of governance and decision making, the Board of Directors of the Corporation are guided by and will be held to account for adhering to a set of core operating principles.
- We respect the aboriginal rights and title of the Heiltsuk people – we will take advantage of business opportunities that arise as a result of the assertion of aboriginal rights and title
- Transparency – The Corporation provides accurate reports on a timely basis to shareholders and community members.
- Clarity – the HEDC strives to ensure that the reasons and rationale for any decisions or operating processes are clearly understood by all.
- Conflict of interest – all Board members declare any real or potential conflict of interest that arises or could arise from their role on the Board.
- Insider information – any “privileged” information gained in the course of Board business, that could benefit an individual board member, will not be used to the advantage of that member
- Gvi’las – Sustainability – the HEDC ensures that any business venture is economically viable and that the results in produces, and the manner in which it operates, benefits, or at least does not damage, the natural environment nor the well being of members of the Heiltsuk community
- Accountability – the HEDC recognizes that they are accountable to the Bare Trust and have established clear performance expectations and conduct formal reviews 2 times per year
- Social Covenant – the HEDC strives to act in accordance with the covenant that was signed in a ceremony with the community
- Fiscal Discipline – ensure that businesses have adequate investment of capital to maintain their operations
- Developing Local Human Capital – the HEDC is committed to building local capacity to ensure that the right people are in the right jobs. HEDC acknowledges that without human capital there is nothing and that there are people in the community who are starving for jobs.
- Corporate governance – have and operate in accordance with a shared and clearly understood governance structure.
- Code of Conduct – we have and operate in accordance with a clear and agreed upon professional Code of Conduct